AFCEC Det 2 Programming Support for Asia Pacific Resiliency (APR)
SMITH/Associates, as a subcontractor to Cherokee Nation Technology Solutions (CNTS), provided Advisory and Assistance Services (A&AS) to IMSC Detachment 2 (Det 2) and the Pacific Air Force (PACAF) to plan and program facilities for hardening, dispersal, reconstitution, and redundancy of Air Force facilities in the Pacific theatre.
Description of the Work
Specific tasks included the following:
Information Management Support:
- Created and maintained records in Automated Civil Engineer System (ACES) and other data systems regarding planned Military Construction (MILCON) projects.
- Utilized client-specific data systems including ShareDrive, SharePoint, TMT, and Cold Fusion sites to store, transmit, evaluate and/or present data generated in support of AFIMSC and PACAF mission.
- Developed Programming Documents for over $1B in MILCON projects over the Future Years Development Plan (FYDP); coordinated closely with AFIMSC HQ, PACAF proponents, and installations to ensure accurate and timely information support. Documents included DD1391s, Economic Analysis waivers, Certificates of Compliance with Planning Actions, Location/Site Plans, Single-Line Drawings, D3 sheets, etc.
Project Management Support:
- Planning/Programming/Execution Management Support including for MILCON projects.
- Coordinated closely with AFIMSC Det 2 Basing and Beddown Program Managers, warfighting planners, functional SMEs, and other stakeholders regarding project requirememnts, lessons learned from recent similar projects, environmental requirements, host nation requirements, funding processes, and facility function to ensure each project would be complete and usable.
- Ensure MILCON projects and programming documents complied with UFC and AFI requirements for the particular type of facility planned, as well as with programming requirements.
- Assisted in ensuring environmental planning processes were followed and and properly documented.
- Maintained databases for project tracking MILCON projects and documentation.
- Coordinated with the US Marine Corps and Naval Facilities Engineering Command (NAVFAC) to keep projects on track and anticipate and address in a timely manner any issues that might arise.
- Reviewed and analyzed project cost growth; developed and submitted detailed cost comparison spreadsheet, in-depth briefing for Air Force General Officer-levels, BBP, and eSSS.
- Developed and managed Advocacy Slides for APR MILCON projects including integration of base-level and HQ-level perspectives and requirements.
- Types of facilities included runway extensions, aircraft parking aprons, hazardous cargo pads, shoulders, taxi ways and taxi lanes, fuel facilities (shore fuel receipt, pipeline, rail and truck hardstands, bulk and ops tanks, additization, and hydrant systems), fire protection, utilities, operations facilities, ammunition loading and storage, and supporting facilities.
- Locations included all current Air Force locations in the Pacific (CONUS and OCONUS), plus potential new operating locations (“places, not bases”) including Tinian, CNMI; RAAF Darwin and RAAF Tindal, AUS; and Palau.
Quality Assurance/Quality Control (QA/QC):
- Performed technical reviews of Architectural and Engineering documents including Area Development Plans (ADPs), Planning and Programming Charrette Reports (PCRs), Requirements Documents (RDs), NEPA/EIAP documents, Programmatic Agreements (PAs), PACES cost estimates, etc. Reviews assessed functional and technical accuracy/completeness, and compliance with applicable regulations.
- Ensure quality control/quality assurance procedures are in place and followed
- Provided recommendations to government personnel on accepting/rejecting other contractors’ deliverables. Developed and coordinated comment response matrices (CRMs) and followed through to ensure contractors adequately addressed comments.
- Led the development of the APR MILCON Program Objective Memorandum (POM) process to identify and quantify new construction requirements over the next six years. Integrated APR requirements with the PACAF and AFIMSC processes. Assisted proponents in effectively advocating for priority projects. Consistently help ensure APR projects ranked among the highest priority projects.
- Assisted AFIMSC Det 2 in meeting Full Operating Condition (FOC) and transitioning from being part of the Command staff, to being part of the new integrated support organization. Reviewed, helped modify, and implemented PPlan.
- Drafted, coordinated, and delivered the USAF input to the Tinian International Airport Airport Layout Plan (ALP), working closely with the Air Force, the Marine Corps, NAVFAC, and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).